Cosburn Park Lawn Bowling Club

Our Roots

In 1929 a small group of people residing in the immediate vicinity of Cosburn and Coxwell Avenues organized what has now become Cosburn Park Lawn Bowling Club under the sponsorship of the East York Township Council. Originally, the ladies’ and men’s groups operated separately with the first annual dinner and dance taking place at the R.H. McGregor School on May 19, 1930. The first female president was Mrs. Grant Jack, while the men’s group functioned under Reeve R.M. Leslie.

Records show that in 1935 there were fourteen female members and a somewhat larger male membership. The original clubhouse was situated on the present site. This building was actually a shed with no heating or other accommodation.

In 1937, a new clubhouse was built by the members. They managed to get most of the materials from different people, cement blocks, wood and anything that they could find to put up the building. In 1952 the women held a bazaar in the fall and regular euchre during the winter which raised $1,250.00.  This money paid for the verandah that members enjoy today.

In 1971 the Borough of East York put an addition on the present building, and we now have a clubhouse of which we can be proud.

The total membership of the club in 1939 was 63; in 1948 it was 115; and in 1978 the membership rose to 256.

Currently, we have 165 active members of different ages, backgrounds, interests and talents. Come and join us -- in 2017 -- our 88th year!!